Thursday 15 November 2012

Crohns



I wasn't sure about whether to write about Crohns or not, partly because it hasn't really sunk in yet and partly because I actually don't know that much information about it. It was two weeks yesterday since I came out of hospital- my first proper time in there (very scary!) but my problems started around 6 months ago. I'd just moved into my new uni house, got a new job and was very happy with how everything was going. I don't think I was stressed but looking back I probably was. This was when I started having 'issues' but I ignored them for a few months. I went to the doctors at home and he told me I would need a blood test but at the time I was so scared of needles I didn't want to get it done. SO stupid! If anyone else is in that situation then seriously don't wait, I cant believe i've been dealing with it for such a long time. 
Then the pain in my stomach started and I became really tired all the time. I started uni again and eventually it became too much so I went back to the doctors in Coventry and he was so helpful. He felt my stomach and asked me lots more questions and I was sent away for samples and a blood test which I did! That was a proud moment and now I don't know what I was worried about. The results came back and showed there was inflammation and my doctor referred me to the hospital to have more tests. The only problem was the appointment wasn't until December 5th - 6 weeks away! I carried on for another week but started being sick a lot, I weighed myself and I had lost a stone in about 3 weeks. One weekend I couldn't keep any food down so I went back to the doctors where I saw yet another doctor. He told me to get another blood test to see any changes and tried to bring my appointment at the hospital forward. The next day I got a phone call from him saying I needed to be admitted to hospital straight away, the inflammation had got worse ( I think?) and I was now anaemic from my lack of food. The thought of being in a hospital in Coventry on my own terrified me so I went home the next day and then on the Friday morning mum took me to hospital.  
In hospital I had a colonoscopy (very weird!) and they diagnosed me with crohns and I was put on steroids to bring down the inflammation. There were blood tests every day and early mornings for medicine. I had a cannula which was scary to look at but meant that the injections could go in there. Apart from the one for blood clots which was horrible until they told me to put it in the leg then it was fine! I couldn't wait to get out of there and since i've been home i've felt so much better. I still take the steroids and I will be back in the hospital soon for another MRI scan and a further colonoscopy. The thought that I have something now that cant be cured is scary and I don't really know whats going to happen in the future but at the moment I feel great and cant wait to get back to normal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment