Friday 28 December 2012

A week on Azathioprine...

It has been just over a week since I started my new medication Azathioprine and honestly I'm not sure if I can see any difference. This medication can take 8-16 weeks to start working so I will have to give it time but its so frustrating! I have noticed that some of my hair is falling out more than usual, this might just be something random but I'm going to keep an eye on it as it is one of the rarer side effects of the drug. Luckily the information I was given says that this could be reversible. 
Today I had my first of the weekly blood tests, these have just become routine now but sometimes I am still shocked by how much they take, it seems like such a lot! The reason for the weekly tests is to check my liver and kidney functions and also my general blood count. This will show if there are any problems and also if the medication is working. There was no one in the Pathology department at the Lister Hospital so we walked right in and a nurse came and took us straight into a room where it was over really quickly (I even had a pink chair!) The nurse let mum take a couple of pictures which I thought might help someone who was scared about getting a blood test. The main problem for me was that I couldn't picture what to expect, so this is what I look like getting my blood taken! 



Not very attractive at 8am with a needle in my arm! 

No comments:

Post a Comment