Thursday 27 December 2012

Merry Crohnsmas!

This has been my first Christmas since being diagnosed with Crohns and honestly I thought it would be much harder than it was! Although there were some things I had to change and get used to (taking 12 tablets with my smoked salmon breakfast was a bit different!) most of the day stayed the same. I've decided to write a few tips which I followed that I think made the Christmas period easier! 


  • Try to avoid fizzy drinks. One thing I didn't have this year is bucks fizz in the morning which we normally do but that is definitely something I can live without. When it comes to other alcohol I stick to clear spirits normally and try to have a clear mixer like lemonade with it. I think waiting for the mixer to go a little bit flatter helps to stop you getting too bloated as there is less bubbles of gas.
  • Don't eat too many greens. In my normal diet I've been told to avoid leafy greens and stringy vegetables but this is a bit harder with a roast dinner when the veg is one of the main parts! My favourite veg is broccoli but they are so fibrous we didn't have them this year. It helps that Mum knew she was cooking a big meal for that day so we could plan to have other vegetables instead such as root veg like carrots, swede and parsnips. If you're going to someones house to eat them let them know in advance so they can plan something else for you. Avoiding leafy greens meant we didn't have a traditional prawn cocktail this year - one of my guilty pleasures!
  • Don't over-indulge. Its easy to keep eating and eating with all the food around but try not to! I've also read a lot of things about having lots small meals instead of a few big ones which helps me to not feel too sluggish after a huge plate of food!
  • If you need to rest then rest. This time of year is about spending time with your family and if you are really tired you wont be able to enjoy it as much. Everyone is knackered but especially if you are ill so take the time to rest. I managed to fit in a nap while Top of the Pops was on which helped me get through the rest of the day! 
  • Don't be embarrassed if you need to go. My family and friends obviously know whats been happening recently so when I get up to leave a few more times than usual they know where i'm going. It doesn't matter whether its during dinner or when your opening presents you should be able to slip out for a bit! 

Mum, Elliot and my big steroid face! 

No comments:

Post a Comment