Friday 4 January 2013

Easy Living Magazine Crohns Article (Dec Issue)

Just before Christmas I was given a pile of magazines to flick through including several issues of Easy Living which I don't normally read but turns out might be a new favourite! Naturally I went straight for the December issue to see some of the Christmas stuff before it was too late and it was there that I found this article. 


For some reason the picture wont rotate! When I first saw the word Crohns I was shocked, I did not expect it to be in a magazine like that. Then when I continued to read and saw that it was about pregnancy I was slightly disappointed. I'm very aware of how I write this blog post as I wouldn't want to cause offence and I think anything making people more aware of Crohns can only be a good thing.

However... It doesn't seem like it goes into much detail about how awful Crohns can be. Everyone's disease is different but there is literally no mention of going to the toilet in the article at all?! Maybe she did not have that symptom (she was very lucky then!) or maybe it is because it is in a women's magazine that doesn't want to discuss something like that (I always forget that women who don't have Crohns don't go to the toilet!). Either way I think that's a fairly vital part to miss out and someone who had not been diagnosed yet might not pick up on it. 

There are a few well placed facts about it such as the age range it is normally diagnosed in (15-35) and how it tends to be genetic which are useful but its missed out a lot to focus on the story of the pregnancy. This is understandable the story is written about a journalist but still a let down for those with Crohns who aren't pregnant/thinking about getting pregnant.

I wont ruin it for you if you want to read the article but honestly more could have been written to help someone who has the symptoms but is yet to be diagnosed and it could have had more encouragement to go and see the doctor if you are showing any of them. Have any of you seen it? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment