Monday 28 January 2013

Germany!

I spent last week in Germany with the University and it was so good! I did write a blog post while I was there but it didn't upload so I will just write everything in this one. The journey there was very exhausting, it took almost 12 hours because of the snow which meant lots of delays but we all managed to keep each other going and by the time we got to the hostel it was a relief to be going to bed!

The hostel was really nice, it was very clean and comfy and the breakfast in the morning was surprisingly nice. My room mates were impressed with the amount of tablets I had to take when we ate! The trip was an innovation trip so we spent the week at a German university with other students. It was very hard work and quite stressful with the deadlines they gave us, my energy levels were a bit up and down as well. One day I fell asleep 4 times and eventually they decided to just leave me! The food was good at the uni, you could get a big meal with desert for €2.35 and it was delicious. I didn't feel like I had to avoid many foods and there was some choices which made it easier. I even ended up trying sauerkraut which is like a pickled cabbage and enjoyed it!

When we weren't at the university we had some time to look around the city and visit some of the sights. One night we went on a tour of the cathedral and other places around cologne. On our final day we ended up visiting them again in the daylight to see abit better. The cathedral was amazing and we all lit a candle which was quite overwhelming. We also visited the love locks which are on the bridge over the river. This is where you and the person you love put a lock on the bridge and then throw the key down so it will stay locked there forever, it is something I would love to go back and do. We also visited the chocolate museum but didn't do the tour as it was quite expensive. Instead we decided to spend some time in the gift shop where I got a few presents to bring home. We also spent an evening at the hard rock cafe which have never been to, personally i thought it was very over priced and not that good, i didnt feel very well after either but i am glad ive been! I have included some pictures at the bottom of the sights we saw!

Overall the trip was really good and has shown me that I can push myself further than I think. When I was in hospital in October I really didn't think I would be coming back to university so soon and going to other countries so I am quite proud of myself for being able to do it! It has given me lots of motivation and I would love to plan some more trips abroad soon.







No comments:

Post a Comment