Tuesday 1 January 2013

Top 5 Tuesday

Twitter has follow Friday, Tumblr has topless Tuesday (never quite understood that one) but what does blogger have? I couldn't see anything so every week on a Tuesday I've decided to do a top 5 list relating to that week. Today it's going to be 'Top 5 things to take into hospital' although a lot of people can't plan when they will be admitted I think it helps to know what you want to take in so that someone can get a bag ready for you.


  1. Comfy PJ's. One of the worst things about staying in hospital is the gowns and whats even more horrible is seeing the person next to you wearing one without any underwear! I felt much more comfortable in my own clothes and when your getting up a lot to walk around its not as revealing as a backless gown! (you might need to wear one for things like a Colonoscopy as it means the doctors don't have to get through loads of layers) 
  2. Entertainment. When I first went into the Lister most of the day was spent with visitors as my family hadn't seen me in awhile because I'd been at uni so they were obviously worried. When I didn't have anyone there and I wasn't asleep it could get boring without anything to do. I would recommend getting some magazines and a good book (I read the hunger games and couldn't wait to get out to see the film!). If you have and iPad or tablet then before you go in get apps like bbc Iplayer and download some programmes you can stream without Internet. Don't forget headphones and your chargers! 
  3. Hot water bottle. Being in pain isn't nice but it's even worse when you know you cant have any pain relief for another 2 hours. When that happens one of the best things is a hot water bottle. They can stay warm for ages and really soothe the pain of a stomach cramp as well as keeping you warm if the hospital is a bit chilly!
  4. Toiletries. Visiting hospital is a little bit like camping when it comes to hygiene. The showers aren't great and washing your hair can be more effort than its worth, if you've been in there awhile you might feel too weak to stand up for that long (when I came out mum had to give me a bath as my arms felt so weak I couldn't do it myself). Things like dry shampoo, wet wipes, body sprays and moisturiser can help to make you feel much more normal. You could also get someone to paint your nails and do your make up so you dont feel like you look as sick (that last bit is more aimed at girls!) 
  5. Your favourite snacks. Hospital food has a reputation for not being great and although you do get 3 meals a day you might suddenly get your appetite back and fancy some of the old foods you loved. I had massive cravings for ready salted crisps and went through a few packs a day when I was feeling better. It helps to break up the wait between meals! 
What do you take into hospital to make the stay more comfortable? 

No comments:

Post a Comment