Monday 18 March 2013

Steroids and me...

This past week has been very stressful with Uni work and since my last appointment at the hospital I've been feeling less than alright. I thought that seeing as my steroid dose has been increased I would write a little post on how I'm getting on with them and how they affect me. I've mentioned them before but I am currently on Prednisolone, taking 4 tablets in the morning with my breakfast (they taste horrible). Prednisolone is a steroid that reduces inflammation which is why it is useful for patients with Crohns. Although it is a good drug it also has lots of lovely side effects, some of these I have been struggling with this week!



The most obvious one that bothers me everyday is my lovely round moon face. Steroids can change where you store water and clearly mine has chosen the face. Its not something that I cry myself to sleep over but it's frustrating and hasn't gone down since I started them. At first I thought I had got away with no one noticing but they have and that's something that is frustrating as well as it looks like I've just gained a stupid amount of weight!


Since going back up to a slightly higher dose I have noticed the mood swings again. The last time the dose went up I got a massive amount of motivation and energy. I signed up for a 10k, applied for jobs and got ahead with all my work so I half expected the same kind of motivation this time round. Oh was I wrong! I'm tired after the smallest things and almost on the verge of tears all the time which isn't like me at all. That is the worst part for me, knowing that I'm not really sad and I have no reason to be but I have no control over it.
Overall I love steroids for how much they help me and how they have prevented me from going on to other medication that would be much more difficult to take. The side effects aren't very nice but they are a small price to pay for feeling better! 





1 comment:

  1. I hope these pills help, have a friend with Crones so I really hope these work for you.
    I saw your post on the Company Magazine forum.
    Would love to follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know with a comment and I always follow back.
    Love from London.
    Love G xx
    www.supercalafashionistic.com

    ReplyDelete